Wednesday, November 9, 2016

What Are You Thankful For?- November 2016

WHAT ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR?
November 2016

Hi everybody, Dr. Norris here.

It's the time of year when we Americans stop and think about what we are thankful for.
It may be our family, our friends or our financial status. These are all good things to be grateful for.  I've had some health challenges this summer requiring intervention and recuperation,
so understandably, I'm very thankful for the doctors, nurses and caregivers who helped me in a time of need. I'm also thankful for my friends and patients who were concerned and prayed for me. Finally I'm extremely thankful for Cindy, my wife, and Amanda, my daughter, who have been with me every step of the way. It has been said that our health is one of the most important things we have.
Often we take it for granted until it is threatened. Don't do that, rejoice every day you have and be thankful for them.

THE SCOURGE OF SCAR TISSUE
 

When soft tissue (muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia) that is injured or inflamed finally heals, the result is scar tissue adhesions. For example a strained muscle will usually heal in about a month, but that injured muscle develops scarring which has a different character than normal muscle. It does not contract like normal muscle. It has more nerve endings and therefore pain that normal muscle does not. There is less circulation in scar tissue. Simply said, these adhesions are painful, non-elastic and do not function normally. Muscle strains, joint sprains, inflammation of various soft tissues and even surgical scars will heal, but they can still cause symptoms.

So what can be done about this? The earlier treatment is started on scar tissue the better the results. Massage techniques, therapy modalities, stretching and soft tissue manipulation have all shown to reduce scarring and normalize tissue. I recently purchased a high speed vibro-massage device called Rapid Release. It is used for treating spasms, tendonitis, adhesions, nerve entrapment, contracted muscles and many other painful conditions. The treatment is quick and painless.
Let me know if I can help.
  
As always if you or someone you care about is in pain or having a health issue,
have them call for a consultation.That's what I love to do, help people.

“Because nobody has time for pain!”
Sincerely,
Dr. Michael Norris
 

HEALTH UPDATE:
Go Easy On Energy Drinks.

Most of us have consumed energy drinks at one point or another, either because of a looming deadline or during a late night out. Although energy drinks are often perceived as harmless, a new case report links the beverages to acute liver damage, after a previously healthy man developed hepatitis from consuming too many. He consumed 3-4 per day for 3 weeks and developed acute hepatitis requiring hospitalization. So take it easy!
 

QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
During my recent surgical pre-op, I overheard the nurse ask a neighboring patient, 
"Are you diabetic?" The older gentleman stated flatly "No. I'm Irish!"
Thank you sir...this lightened my mood a great deal.
 


Disclaimer: The information contained herein is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases or, medical problems. It is not intended to replace your doctor's recommendations.
The information is provided for educational purposes only. Response to care and nutritional benefits may vary from one person to another.