Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Starfish Story- July 2016

THE STARFISH STORY
July 2016

Hi Everybody, Dr. Norris here,

I recently came across this story which I had shared several years ago in one of my newsletters. Here it is again...I hope you enjoy it.

“The Starfish Story”
Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day he was walking along the shore when he saw a human figure moving along the beach. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man that was reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean.

As he got closer he called out, “Good morning! What are you doing?”
The young man looked up and replied, “Throwing starfish in the ocean.”
The wise man said "What?"
“The sun is up and the tide is going out, and if I don't throw them in they'll die.”
“But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it.
You can't possibly make a difference.”

The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said “For this one, It made all the difference in the world!”

I remember reading that story, for the first time, many, many moons ago; I thought about that story many times as I was going through school. Every time I had to stay up all night studying, I would think of that story & why I was there. It made the sacrifice and lack of sleep clearly worth it.

The morning of my state board exams, I vividly remember waiting to take the test, with bags under my eyes, thinking about that story.  It was still worth it. After I passed the exam with flying colors, I started throwing starfish back into the ocean... one by one. Not literally starfish of course, but helping suffering people get out of pain. It was exciting helping so many people.  More exciting than I ever thought it could possibly be.

As the days turn into months and the months into years, most people grow tired of their job or “career”. Most can't wait to go home every day and eventually retire. Well, that never happened to me. I'm as excited today as the day I entered Chiropractic school.

Not too many people can say that & I owe it all to you. I honestly feel blessed to have such a group of patients that make intelligent decisions about their health. You also understand healing and fixing the real cause of your problem can take time. You've been a loyal chiropractic patient and are reaping the benefits, now and later in life. You finish what you start and your spine, muscles and nervous system will be healthier and younger because of it. Yep, you've made my practice a wonderful place to be and I want you to always feel I am your Chiropractor.  Even if we don't see each other for a while,
I want you to always know your welcome and I'll be happy to see you.  I'll always be here to help you.
 
I'm glad you're one of my starfish!
Sincerely,
Dr. Michael Norris
 

HEALTH ALERTS:
Avoid Opiates At All Costs

Music fans worldwide were still mourning the death of iconic rock star Prince at age 57, when the tragedy was compounded by news that it was due to an opioid overdose. Medical Examiners announced that an autopsy had determined that Prince's death was an accident caused by fentanyl toxicity, a prescription opioid drug used to treat severe pain, carries a high risk for addiction and dependence; Prince was reportedly taking it for hip pain.

The U.S. is in the midst of an epidemic of opioid overdoses. Drug overdose is the leading cause of accidental death in the U.S., according to the American Society of Addiction Medicine, and in 2014, 40 percent of the 47,055 fatal drug overdoses that occurred were related to prescription pain relievers. In fact, 78 people in the U.S. die every day from an opioid overdose, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
 

QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it."
~
Charles R. Swindoll
 

Disclaimer: The information contained herein is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases or, medical problems. It is not intended to replace your doctor's recommendations.
The information is provided for educational purposes only. Response to care and nutritional benefits may vary from one person to another